Monday, May 11 - Friday, May 15

Friday
Rather than doing the planned poetry analysis activity, last period, before a long weekend we took a look at Shakespeare's Macbeth in a variety of different ways. We looked briefly at some modern parallels to the Macbeth story: Breaking Bad and House of Cards. Next we looked at a graphic novel version of the story, and then a 90 second video clip version. Finally we viewed a 2010 version for the remainder of the class. I was a little taken aback at the level of disinterest that was demonstrated by the majority of the class. I wonder if iPhones will still be studied with such interest in 400 years?
Thursday
We looked at another Lorna Crozier poem today: Deer's Take on Man. I was impressed by the insights that were being discussed as everyone went around the room and wrote on the poem copies. I am always amazed at how listening to students talk, especially about a poem that is new to me, my own understanding of the poem improves.  New vocabulary word:  there were some ambiguous passages in the poem. Life is often full of ambiguity which may explain why poems often contain it too.
Wednesday
We finally took a look at Lorna Crozier's "My Last Erotic Poem"! Hope it was worth the wait and gave everyone a Wednesday morning chuckle. I also gave out the notes on how to do a "Close Reading" of a poem and had got the class to circulate around the room to fill in the details of the notes. Using the headings for a close reading, we took a closer look at "My Last Erotic Poem".

Tuesday
Today was and edit quiz day. After the quiz, we listened to the last two poetry in film presentations. At the end of the class I shared a video clip  to lead us into the reading of Lorna Crozier's poem, "My Last Erotic Poem."

Monday
I handed back the annotations today and then we did an editing sheet based on the writing errors I found in the annotation. Tomorrow there will be a quiz on these types of errors. The annotations were done well and most contained plenty of notations and thoughtful comments to show you were reading and engaging with the text. Something to work on is looking beyond the surface details of the article and offering insightful, in-depth, evaluative remarks. Don't simply point out the juxtaposition of two photos, for example. Instead explain the effect of the juxtaposition of the photos; how does it influence the meaning of the text?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monday, June 5 - Thursday, June 8

June 11 - 14

Monday, January 30 - Thursday, February 3