Tuesday, February 10 - Friday, February 13

Friday
We took a look at the short story The Larder today. We began by categorizing some phrases from the story and then predicted what the conflict of the story might be. As I read the story, you were to collect ammunition for Story Wars. I was very impressed, not only with the quality of the points made in the story war, but also I was impressed by the level of insight shown about the big ideas presented in the story. Unfortunately we ran out of time to complete the story war; we will complete it next week.
Thursday
After I shared a few brain details that I learned yesterday on the field trip, we returned to the story Rock Bottom. I was VERY impressed with the quality of responses that the groups came up with for the questions; they sounded thoughtful and insightful. Once we finished the questions we did a quick empathy activity where I showed you a photograph to see how it made you feel. Next, we did our first in-class timed write where I asked you to step into the shoes, so to speak, of the man on the sidewalk. By the end of the class I requested that both the questions and the written piece be emailed to me.
Wednesday
I was away on a field trip today. While I was gone, I asked that continue to work with the graphic story Rock Bottom. To begin, you were asked to do a timed-write related to the story. Next, working in groups you had some questions to answer. Finally, you were to try to tease out the BIG IDEA of the story and write about it providing examples/evidence from the story to support your views.

Tuesday
Welcome! For this first day of English 11 we began with some thoughts about how to read a text and think deeply about the text and its message. We began by discussing what our definition of empathy is. After some group discussion around examples of empathy and our belief statements about empathy, we took a look at the graphic story Rock Bottom. During reading of the text, I asked everyone to use post-its and record any ruptures that they noticed in the text: places that caught your attention, stopped you, or made you go back and re-read. I was impressed how quickly the majority of the class picked-up on the unusual storytelling method the author has used!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monday, June 5 - Thursday, June 8

June 11 - 14

Monday, January 30 - Thursday, February 3